The Sudbury Board of Health issued a mask mandate effective September 1st. We will require mask wearing at Indoor Mass.
Welcome Fr. Joe
My name is Joseph Canavan and I was ordained a priest for the Archdiocese of Boston on May 23,1970. I have spent many years working with Hispanic and English populations in Woburn, Haverhill, Lynn and Cambridge. For a couple of years I also worked with Cambodian refugees in Lawrence and Lowell. In my last assignment I was the pastor of St. Mary’s Parish in Cambridge for 5 years. I asked for and was granted a year’s leave of absence in 2004 and I moved in with my sister in Tupelo, MS and worked as a counselor in a state hospital. Before I was able to return to Boston In 2005, my mother at the age of 89, a serious accident and she was forced to sell her house. She, too, moved to Mississippi since my sister and I were both living there. We moved to Florida in 2011. I had the blessing of taking care of her until her death at 103 in January 2020. I attempted to work part time as a priest in Mississippi and Florida but I was told that wasn’t possible until I returned to Boston and could participate in a four month refresher course at Pope John XXIII Seminary. I was not willing to put my mother in a nursing home since I could and wanted to care for her, so I had to wait.
I did attend Pope John XXIII from January to May of this year. As you can imagine, my return was delayed for almost a year due to the pandemic. However, I am now here and even after a few days, I consider myself to be the luckiest priest in the Archdiocese. This community has endured many challenges but rather than succumb to them, you have grown stronger. I am indeed honored to be a part of all that this community represents.
Welcome Lee Maleno
Hello- I am Lee, and I want to thank you for your warm welcome! I am happy to introduce myself as the Pastoral Assistant for St. Anselm’s Church. I am originally from RI and I graduated from Assumption College, now University.
For the last ten plus years, it has been a sweet blessing to have served and worked in Youth Ministry and Faith Formation in the Diocese of Worcester. I am thankful for this special call now to be present, serve, and teach through pastoral care work and in Faith Formation here at St. Anselm’s Church in the Archdiocese of Boston.
Please know that I look forward to journeying with you as I begin this position in mid-July, and I invite you to join this special journey with me to share faith and life together. In addition to Ministry work, I enjoy reading, art, music, and nature as well as spending time with God, and my dear family and friends. It is a blessing to have met some of you already, and I look forward to meeting more of you in the coming weeks!
- Faith Formation Outdoor Family Mass – Sunday, October 3rd at 11 am. Faith Formation information.
- The St Vincent de Paul Walk for the Poor – Sunday, October 17th after the Outdoor Mass from 12 noon – 1:30 pm.
- Patriots Tailgate Party – Sunday, October 24th at 1 pm. The Adult Social Commission invites you to tailgate outside behind the Church and watch the Patriots vs Jets on a big screen TV (parking lot opens at 12 noon). Bring your own tailgate as if you were tailgating at Gillette Stadium (alcoholic beverages permitted). Any shared snacks/dishes must be individually wrapped (grab-n-go style) due to Covid restrictions. We hope you’ll join us in sharing good company, food and hopefully a Patriots victory! This event is dependent upon Archdiocesan/town guidelines for Covid.
- Taizé Prayer Service – Thursday, October 28 at 7 pm. To learn more, go to the GetInvolved/Pray page.
- Prayer Requests – You can now write in our Virtual Book of Special Intentions at #StAnselmPraysWithYou. Prayer is so powerful.
WEATHER: If conditions are too adverse to use the outdoor altar, mass will be celebrated indoors while you listen on your car radio outside. Communion will be brought out to you.
Please Contribute to St. Anselm
Use the button below or visit our Give page for more information
The Drive-In Mass comes to Sudbury
- NBC10 Interview of Father Brent about our Special Outdoor Masses April 4, 2021
- Sudbury Town Crier The Drive In Mass Comes to Sudbury February 1, 2021
- Milford Daily News Article: Churches Adapt for Christmas Dec 2020
- Metrowest Daily News Article: Faith Rewarded in Sudbury Oct 2020
- October 3rd Lay Leadership Announcement
St. Anselm Church is a caring committed, Catholic community fostering a close and effective collaboration among the clergy, religious and laity, living the Gospel message of Jesus Christ. With appreciation of our diversity, we create a welcoming partnership of loving relationships through our commitment to sharing our time, talent, and treasure. We provide an atmosphere of collective thankfulness and spiritual nourishment through our vibrant sacramental life.